Aug 19, 2007

Lost in Translation

Coppola, 2003



Lost in Translation
is one of those movies that divide people straight down the middle. Most people either love it or hate it, and because of that I might catch some flak for adding it to this list, but that’s the life a top seventy five list maker lives. The film itself is largely silent and calm. There is not always a lot of dialogue, there isn’t really any major turning point event or disaster, and the majority of the movie takes place in a Tokyo hotel. So what do I see in it? I’m not even entirely sure myself, but I do know I made some sort of connection with the movie, like most people who loved the movie. I think Lost in Translation is one of those movies you can’t really appreciate unless you, on a personal level, can connect with it, which I did. There are a lot of feelings of loneliness and lack of self fulfillment which I can relate to, and even though I am not a middle aged person, I can still relate to the feeling of being ‘stuck’.

Besides attaching with Lost in Translation I always really enjoyed the performances from Murray and Johansson. Murray has since become type cast in these sorts of roles, but his performance here was before all that and he does a great mid life crisis thing with his character. Johansson displays excellent skill playing the fairly quiet and reserved, but bored and wedged in young wife. Coppola made her mark with her direction here; her choice of simple photography, a great soundtrack and the way she paced the movie were all spot on. I guess that’s about all I can say. It was a simple, yet effective film and therefore there isn’t as much as other films to really talk about. You'll just have to see for yourself!

No comments: